2011 03/03

Postpartum: After the C-section

As I sit and write this it has been 2 weeks, almost to the minute, since Talon was born.  Earlier this week I shared with you my thoughts and fears after hearing I would be having another C-section.  Today I want to share with you the reality of my C-section and the recovery.

I was definitely much more relaxed going into this C-section.  Again, not that I wanted to go this route, but there’s something to be said about knowing it’s going to happen ahead of time and mentally and emotionally preparing yourself for it.  It also helps that I did not labor for 36 hours and had not been up for 48 hours (as was the case with my first C-section) before this C-section.  

The nurses were all very sweet to me as they prepped me for the surgery.  My anesthiologist did everything possible to make me feel comfortable and to help me relax, including talking to me and encouraging me every step of the way.  And I actually got to have my own OB present!

The surgery itself went very well.  No complications for me or baby.  The doctors and nurses were all convinced that Talon was well over 9 pounds when they first got him out and were amazed that he was only 8lbs 12 oz when they weighed him.  Again, my OB was very thankful we went this route because she wasn’t so sure my body could handle delivering a baby of that size.  I think I could have.  Oh well.

The recovery started out a little rough as I had an allergic reaction to the anesthesia (itching in my face that they warned me would probably happen) and then a scary allergic reaction to the medicine they gave me to help with that itching.  After all of that excitement was over, I was mostly just sore.

Once I got home my recovery seemed to speed along.  I’m not sure if it’s because of how well the surgery went this time or if it’s because I had  no choice but to get out of bed and continue on with life, but I am really amazed at how quickly I was feeling back to normal.  My abdomen is a little sore and I have the nastiest bruise below my belly button, but I have no problem sitting up by myself or getting out bed by myself.

The best part about this recovery has been Tim.  He’s been so encouraging and yet reminds me to not push myself.  His support has really helped my emotional and mental recovery, which has helped my physical recovery.

So, this C-section turned out much better than I could have ever hoped for.  Yes, I would have loved to have had a natural delivery but ultimately I got the best end result possible — my healthy and beautiful baby boy! And, with my recovery going better than I could have expected, I’m well on my way to getting our lives back to normal….if you consider “normal” as getting 2-3 hours of sleep each night!


  • I had a repeat C-section with my second. The difference between how I felt after each one was astonishing!

    It’s nice to hear that I wasn’t the only one having issues with my recovery the first time around.

  • Crystal, I don’t know the details of your situation but for me I think it was a combination of the doctor and being able to mentally & emotionally prepare for it this time. During the first C-section, that OB made my incision too small and ended up tearing a lot of my abdominal muscles when trying to get the baby out. This time my OB was much better, making my recovery a little easier.

  • Hi Stacey! How are you doing now? I hope you are fine and so is the baby. I had a C section too in 2002. I had nothing to compare it with, but I thought it was nice to not undergo the kind of pain my friends were describing when they had normal delivery.
    Best wishes to you and your family!

Leave a Reply

copyright 2005-2015 Stacey says… | plain jane media, llc

Using AcosminSIMPLE designed by Acosmin Premium {site map}